I believe reading should be enjoyable–and selecting the right reading materials is the most important step toward falling in love with reading. Helping you navigate the multitude of possibilities to locate exactly the right title you’re in the mood to try is my favorite activity. Please stop by the library so we can chat, understand what you want to read next, and I can offer you some personalized possibilities.
Don’t forget, I also believe life is too short for reading books we don’t love! Try a book and not having a love connection with it? Stop reading, bring it back and exchange it (I quit books in the middle all the time– it’s OK!!) Embracing your freedom to stop reading also provides you the freedom to try new titles, authors, and genres without fear of long-term commitment! You only have to marry the books you want to marry, I promise.
Browse the online Destiny library catalog by genre category: Written Directions
Browse the online Destiny library catalog by genre category: Video Directions coming soon
Need a reading suggestion right now, this very second? I can help with that too. Start by exploring the following collection of online reading suggestions!
Yes, these are sometimes awkward. But they’re also funny (sometimes!) and the closest you will come to having a personalized book talk from me when you’re not in the library. Filmed originally during the Covid Quarantine these occasionally feature my wild dogs and cat, and my equally wild Covid hairstyles.
New Books Lists
I usually like to keep a list of our new books so you can easily browse and read a little description of each. But, with only me in the library this year, I haven’t had time to add descriptions. However, I’ll at least try to keep adding the new titles to the list so you can easily see what we have that’s new in each genre.
- Best Fiction for Young Adults Award– all different genres, lengths, subjects
- Quick Picks for Teen Readers Award– Often fast reads that’ll grab you early in the story
- Great Graphic Novels for Teens Award– Try a book with incredible art + a great story!
- Teens’ Top Ten Award– books nominated and voted on by teen readers
- Stonewall Honor Book– award for exceptional book featuring LGBTQ+ characters
- OE books featuring LGBTQ+ characters
- Book Reviews from the Johnson County Public Library Teen Advisory Council
- LatinX Book Festival this link takes you to their Google Spreadsheet of YA titles
Free Online Book Suggestion Sites
- What Should I Read Next– enter something you already like to see similar titles/authors
- LibraryThing– search for a book you like and look at the similar title suggestions
- GoodReads– very similar to LibraryThing, also has book lists of various kinds
- NoveList Plus– search for a book you like and see titles of books readers think are similar